Monday, May 08, 2017

Apple's SVP Worldwide Marketing Phil Schiller thinks that Echo-Like Devices should have a Display - Patently Apple

On a related note, This could be Amazon’s Echo with a built-in display (TechCrunch)

"First of all, there is a lot of talk in the industry about voice-driven assistants and we believe deeply in voice-driven assistants that's why invest in Siri, but there is interest in a voice-only assistant, where there is no screen, and we think it's important to that there are times when it's convenient to simply use your voice when you are not able to use the screen. For example, if you're driving [and] you want Siri to work for you without having to look at the screen, that's the best thing. Or maybe you're across the room, and you want to ask Siri to change the song you were listening to - you don't have to walk over and back [and you can use Siri instead].

 

So there's many moments where a voice assistant is really beneficial, but that doesn't mean you'd never want a screen. So the idea of not having a screen, I don't think suits many situations. For example if I'm looking for directions and I'm using Maps, Siri can tell me those directions by voice and that's really convenient but it's even better if I can see that map, and I can see what turns are coming up, and I can see where there is congestion, I understand better my route, and what I'm going to do."
Apple's SVP Worldwide Marketing Phil Schiller thinks that Echo-Like Devices should have a Display - Patently Apple

No comments: