Thursday, January 08, 2004

More on pop-ups, tabbed browser clients, etc.

Some general observations about why I'm not very annoyed by pop-ups and the lack of tabbed browsing in IE:
1. I don't spend a lot of time in browser contexts these days -- most of the Web news/etc. sites I used to track now have RSS feeds, and I spend much more time exploring via FeedDemon than IE
2. Most of the Web sites I do still visit don't use pop-ups -- nytimes.com is an annoying exception
3. Tabbed browsing was initially intriguing, but I ultimately didn't use it often; my browser-based endeavors are generally in-and-out scenarios, and I don't routinely leave IE open when I'm not using it, so I don't suffer from IE multi-window-itis problems.
4. I think the overall user conceptual model for Web pages/apps still leaves a lot to be desired, and I'm not sure tabs don't make the model more rather than less challenging for most users...

No comments: