Wednesday, August 04, 2010

Larry Ellison, George Lucas Join Billionaires in Following Buffett-Gates Charity Pledge - WSJ.com

Very cool to see something about which Larry Ellison and Bill Gates agree

As philanthropy can often be a private matter, some signatories came as a surprise. Software mogul Larry Ellison is among those who have given widely but rarely stated their intentions so publicly.

"Until now, I have done this giving quietly—because I have long believed that charitable giving is a personal and private matter," wrote Mr. Ellison in a public letter on the Giving Pledge's website.

He said he put virtually all his assets into a trust with the intention of giving away at least 95% of his wealth to charitable causes and has already given hundreds of millions of dollars to medical research and education.

"So why am I going public now? Warren Buffett personally asked me to write this letter because he said I would be 'setting an example' and 'influencing others' to give," Mr. Ellison wrote. "I hope he's right."

Larry Ellison, George Lucas Join Billionaires in Following Buffett-Gates Charity Pledge - WSJ.com

No comments: