Saturday, February 17, 2007

Still Can't Beat A Post-It Note

 BusinessWeek review of the HP TouchSmart IQ770 (the picture below is from HP's site.

I still believe there's room for a home information-and-entertainment center of this sort, but to reach a mass market, the system has to be smaller, cheaper, and above all simpler. This application calls for a software platform other than Windows—a nimbler and quicker one with fewer capabilities and greater ease of use. In the end, the TouchSmart is just too much of a good thing.

HP TouchSmart IQ770 PC

This one may be headed for the 3Com Audrey "appliance" hall of fame, but I doubt it'll be in part because of Windows Vista, as the reviewer suggests.

Tangent: I installed Vista Ultimate on a two-year-old Dell XPS 8400 with a gig of memory yesterday.  I didn't have much to lose, since this was the PC that had a hard disk crash several weeks ago.  I reinstalled Windows XP from the original PC factory restore CD, and then installed Vista Ultimate from a DVD (the PC wouldn't boot from the DVD; I would have otherwise skipped the XP step).  Works great -- much more responsive.  The Vista installation process was very effective at finding drivers etc.; it just worked...

Source: Still Can't Beat A Post-It Note

1 comment:

pbokelly said...

Oops -- it's a Dell Dimension 8400, not an XPS (wishful thinking on my part...).