Thursday, May 26, 2016

Peter Thiel, Tech Billionaire, Reveals Secret War With Gawker - The New York Times

Also see In Silicon Valley, Gossip, Anger and Revenge (NYT) and Peter Thiel Does the Impossible! Nobody’s ever sympathized with Gawker before (Politico)
"Mr. Thiel has donated money to the Committee to Protect Journalists and has often talked about protecting freedom of speech. He said he did not believe his actions were contradictory. “I refuse to believe that journalism means massive privacy violations,” he said. “I think much more highly of journalists than that. It’s precisely because I respect journalists that I do not believe they are endangered by fighting back against Gawker.”

He continued, “It’s not like it is some sort of speaking truth to power or something going on here. The way I’ve thought about this is that Gawker has been a singularly terrible bully. In a way, if I didn’t think Gawker was unique, I wouldn’t have done any of this. If the entire media was more or less like this, this would be like trying to boil the ocean.” Mr. Thiel said he had not targeted any other media companies."
Peter Thiel, Tech Billionaire, Reveals Secret War With Gawker - The New York Times

No comments: