Friday, January 25, 2008

Mark Logic CEO Blog: Mucho Dinero: Freebase Raises $42M.

Dave Kellogg's take on Metaweb/Freebase:

Metaweb, makers of the unfortunately named Freebase, recently announced that they have raised a whopping $42.5M venture round led by Goldman Sachs and Benchmark Capital.
Freebase is trying to create a database of knowledge with a collaborative Wiki-like approach. The differences are (1) there's much less in it today, (2) it leverages Wikipedia as a source, (3) it's far easier to edit entries in Freebase than in Wikipedia, and (4) it doesn't follow a strict encyclopedia-like entry per topic.

[...]

I haven't spent that much time on GoogleBase, but I'm not all impressed with what I see when I go there. My take is that Freebase is what GoogleBase wanted to be.

Mark Logic CEO Blog: Mucho Dinero: Freebase Raises $42M.

No comments: