Sunday, January 02, 2005

The New York Times > Business > Your Money > Sunday Interview: New Year, New Scraps for Sun's Feisty Chief

The New York Times > Business > Your Money > Sunday Interview: New Year, New Scraps for Sun's Feisty Chief: "Q. Now that you've settled with Microsoft, how do you make sure that your collaboration with it won't lead to a blurring of the unique products and services of each company?
A. I always say that Sun and Microsoft shaking hands is a little like two boxers tapping gloves just before they beat the living daylights out of each other. And quite honestly, that really is where we are."
...
Q. Do you see anything in the industry that bothers you, besides the Microsoft- Intel partnership?
A. I find it interesting that I.B.M. won't port their enterprise WebShare applications to Solaris x86, yet every other enterprise application vendor has committed or is already there.
Q. Why do you think I.B.M. did that?
A. My theory is, all of a sudden, we have a stubbornness or a religion or maybe market power that says, "We don't have to do what the rest of the industry has to do" coming out of I.B.M., which is potentially as worrisome. When I talk to a lot of customers, they're as nervous about I.B.M. taking over too much of their shops as anything."

No comments: