Monday, June 14, 2010

Rough Type: Nicholas Carr's Blog: Steven Pinker and the Internet

Nicholas Carr responds to Steven Pinker’s NYT article.  I expect this will not be the last word in the debate…

We should all celebrate, along with Pinker, the many benefits that the Net and related media have brought us. I have certainly enjoyed those benefits myself over the last two decades. And we should heed his advice to look for “strategies of self-control” to ameliorate the distracting and addictive qualities of those media. But we should not share Pinker's complacency when it comes to the Net's ill effects, and we should certainly not ignore the mounting evidence of those effects.

I have little doubt that Steven Pinker will one day write a cogent, thoughtful, and balanced critique of Internet skepticism. I look forward to reading it.

Rough Type: Nicholas Carr's Blog: Steven Pinker and the Internet

No comments: