Thursday, February 04, 2010

Review: Palm touches up Pre, Pixi smart phones - Yahoo! News [smartphone as WiFi access point]

I hope this is the norm for smartphones in the future – at least the ones that have multitasking operating systems. You can do the same thing with a Windows 7 PC, BTW (although I haven’t explored or tried Connectify yet, so please don’t take this as an open-ended recommendation).

The coolest feature on both phones, however, is a mobile hotspot utility you can download from Palm's App Catalog. It lets up to five devices connect to Verizon's wireless network through the phone, acting as a Wi-Fi hotspot.

Once installed, the application was super easy to use. I just slid a little on-screen toggle to "on," set a password for devices to connect to my network and started connecting gadgets. In a few minutes, I was watching Hulu clips on my laptop and browsing news Web sites on another smart phone. I could also use the Palm phone at the same time.

Review: Palm touches up Pre, Pixi smart phones - Yahoo! News

No comments: