Wednesday, June 18, 2003

I.B.M.'s Opponent in Suit Criticizes Linux Advocate

I.B.M.'s Opponent in Suit Criticizes Linux Advocate "SCO's amended suit against I.B.M., filed late Monday, contends that Mr. Torvalds, who has overseen the development of Linux, appears to have a casual attitude toward intellectual property rights. Linux is distributed free and improved upon by a far-flung network of developers.
...
SCO executives assert there is a "don't ask, don't tell" mentality toward intellectual property that pervades the Linux programming culture. As an example, they point to an e-mail message exchange last August on the Linux mailing list. One programmer said there was a patent matter that "we can't just ignore."
Mr. Torvalds replied, "Actually, we can, and I will."
"I do not look up any patents on principle because (a) it's a horrible waste of time and (b) I don't want to know.""

Uh oh...

No comments: