Friday, January 28, 2011

Map of scientific collaboration between researchers | Stuff I made

Check the link below for more details and a zoomable map (via James Gleick)

I was very impressed by the friendship map made by Facebook intern, Paul Butler and I realized that I had access to a similar dataset. Instead of a database of friendship data, I had access to a database of scientific collaboration.

My employer, Science-Metrix, is bibliometric consulting firm. In other words, we engineer ways to measure the impact and growth of scientific discovery (and publications) in the world. To accomplish this, we license data from scientific journal aggregators like Elsevier’s Scopus and Thomson Reuter’s Web of Science. The data we have is bibliographic in nature. We don’t have the full text of the articles but rather citation networks, authors and their affiliations, abstracts, etc.

image

Map of scientific collaboration between researchers | Stuff I made

No comments: