Wednesday, January 19, 2011

MobileNoter vs OneNote for iPhone

MobileNoter perspectives on how their offering compares to the Microsoft OneNote Mobile for iPhone client; see the link below for the rest of their criteria and some additional notes.  My $.02: if you want to work with OneNote notebooks on an iPad or Android smartphone, MobileNoter has some compelling capabilities, but I think the company will have a difficult time competing with OneNote Mobile for iPhone, at least for OneNote users who are primarily interested in basic note-taking and personal information management on an iPhone or iPod touch.

Microsoft has released their own OneNote client for iPhone (though it's available in USA only and can be installed only on devices with iOS 4.2) and we decided to compare it to MobileNoter.

Let's figure out what features Microsoft's app has in comparison to ours.

image

(Check the link below for the rest of the table)

MobileNoter vs OneNote for iPhone

2 comments:

Doug Steinschneider said...

I have implemented GTD in OneNote and use it to "journal" as I work. I purchased MobileNoter WiFi and synced it with our server when I was connected via WiFi which frankly was a PITA. This month I decided to try a new ROM on my DroidX and while installing apps put OneNote instead of MobileNoter in the Market search and discovered Microsoft's OneNote. I decided to try it and it works fine for my purposes. MobileNoter needs to reach out to their paying customers and immmediately offer cloud sync to Skydrive in place of the "WiFi" version.

Richard G. Dudley said...

I have tried both. But I found that the OneNote app creates edits or pages that are apparently in onenote 2013 format! These then cannot be read in the mobile notre version. This can be fixed by opening the notebook on your computer and copying the offending page.. Which ( after syncing) will show up correctly in mobile noter. So if you have made a bunch of note books with the onenote app. They might not be readable in the mobile noter app.