Wednesday, January 05, 2011

Hands-on with the ASUS EP121 Slate PC [Windows Team blog]

I think I need one of these; it looks like a great device for OneNote (the app I use most often these days).  I’m also looking forward to having a tablet device that supports my usual blogging pair – IE and Windows Live Writer.  Anybody want to buy a used 64 gig iPad?

Check the link below for a detailed review.

CES is in full swing, and it started off with a bang when ASUS formally unveiled the EP121, the company’s new Windows 7-powered slate PC. I was one of the lucky few who were able to get their hands on an EP121 before CES and I’ve been using it as my primary PC for much of the last 2 weeks (I’m even writing this post on it). It’s a capable computer loaded with a Core i5 processor, 4 GB of RAM, Intel HD graphics and a fast 64GB SSD, and it proved to me that Windows 7 does in fact “fit” on a slate.

IMG_0384

[…]

It’s important to remember that this is a full PC running Windows 7, so I put it through the same paces that I would any other PC. Not surprisingly, under a normal everyday workload that included most of Office 2010 (Word, Outlook, PowerPoint and OneNote were the applications I used the most), the EP121 performed beautifully. The SSD made a huge difference in opening my gigantic Outlook profile, and the i5 processor handled running those applications, along with Windows Live Writer, Windows Live Mail, Windows Live Messenger, and IE9, without any bottlenecking. Fundamentals were good, too, and delivered really impressive times – particularly for sleep and wake, which were virtually instantaneous:

- Start-up (cold boot to desktop): 19 seconds

- Shut down (no apps open): 17 seconds

- Sleep (to fan off): 1 second

- Wake (to desktop): 1 second

Hands-on with the ASUS EP121 Slate PC

No comments: