Monday, May 10, 2010

I want to like the iPad : On a New Road

Apparently James Gosling isn’t moving from Oracle to Apple; see the full post for more iPad observations.  For me, the iPad will remain mostly a game device (and heavier-than-my-Kindle e-reader machine) unless/until I can find a Safari extension for blogging (and that’s likely to be a while, since iPad Safari doesn’t support extensions).

Really, I do. I put in my order for a 3G iPad on day 1 and calmly waited my turn for the Blessed Object to arrive. It has that `I must have it' sensuality that Apple has become so good at. But a week later, I don't get it. It's magical, but the magic feels more Oz than Dumbledore. It feels more like a business model looking for a device to express it, rather than something that actually fills a need. I like a lot of Apple products, but this one is a clear victory of style over substance.

I want to like the iPad : On a New Road

No comments: