Friday, January 29, 2010

I, Cringely » Blog Archive » iPad, Therefore I Am - Cringely on technology

Cringely plausibly ponders his off-target previous post; an excerpt follows below. Read the full post -- I believe it’s part of an emerging pattern that suggests lots of iPad details are still squishy, and that iPad 1.0 may turn out to be a dead-end device (since upgrades will soon follow with, e.g., a camera or two).

Just because Apple didn’t mention Verizon doesn’t mean they won’t also offer 3G service from Verizon. The word “exclusive” was never used referring to AT&T. They trotted-out that pre-paid plan, but it would be crazy for carriers to not also offer a one-year or two-year subscription plan, too, which would drop the unit price somewhat. Maybe the subscription rates weren’t yet set. More likely the Verizon details were still in some limbo or Apple gave AT&T an exclusive presence at the intro in exchange for some concession we may never know about.

With Steve Jobs the deal isn’t done until it is done so I am sure he’s still trying to take one or both carriers to the cleaners.

I, Cringely » Blog Archive » iPad, Therefore I Am - Cringely on technology

No comments: