A timely Internet + democracy reality check
At one point, the Secretary of State posed a list of difficult questions she said tech companies should consider before getting into a tough situation. Here’s a rundown of the questions she mentioned:
- What kind of business should you do in a country that has a history of violating Internet freedom?
- Is there something you can do to prevent governments from using your products to spy on their own citizens?
- Should you include warnings for consumers?
- How will you handle requests for information from security authorities when those requests come without a warrant?
- Are you working to prevent post-purchase modifications of your products or resale through middlemen to authoritarian regimes?