Thursday, October 01, 2009

Google Wave Pisses Me Off | Ryan Stewart – Rich Internet Application Mountaineer

A timely reality check from a frustrated Adobe product evangelist. As a former Macromedia employee, I agree with most of his observations. Read the full post for more context-setting and details.

The hyptasticness that is Google Wave continues to annoy me as a Flash developer and RIA enthusiast. Now I preface all of this by admitting that I haven’t used it; maybe when I get an invite this thing will be worth all of the finger grease that keyboards have endured as people talk about it. And I’m not saying it’s not impressive; it is. It’s a great demo, it does some very cool stuff. I’m not annoyed at Google Wave, I’m annoyed because everything that people like about that demo was doable 3-5 years ago with Flash. Flash Remoting, Flash Communication Server, and our much better user interface capabilities pretty much could have created Google Wave. Now I understand that there’s some excitement because this is built on open standards with a more open model, but people don’t get excited about standards- they get exited about vision. And that’s what kills me.

Google Wave Pisses Me Off Ryan Stewart – Rich Internet Application Mountaineer

No comments: