Friday, September 11, 2009

I, Cringely » Blog Archive » The People’s Republic of Google - Cringely on technology

A timely Google reality check – read the full post 

I was hanging the other day with some ex-Google folks.  There are more and more of these as the search company matures and the fact that I’m running across a few is, in itself, meaningless.  But without giving away any trade secrets (which the ex-Googlers absolutely refused to do) these chance encounters have opened my eyes a bit to how things actually function inside the Googleplex.  It’s different, really different.

Later in the post:

At Google I am told developers bid for what they want to do with their time.  If there’s a big job to be done people commit to parts of it.  And the parts nobody commits to do?  They don’t get done.  Really.  So when we wonder exactly how a JotSpot, which I really liked, turns into a Google Sites, which I really don’t like, that morphology apparently comes from people changing what they want to change.

There is no marketing input.

Effectively, there is no marketing.

I am not making this up.

I, Cringely » Blog Archive » The People’s Republic of Google - Cringely on technology

No comments: