Friday, July 02, 2004

Jonathan Schwartz's Weblog: Java One, 2004

Jonathan Schwartz's Weblog: Java One, 2004: "This year's JavaOne conference was different. It felt different. If you were there, you know what I mean. In prior years, it was either about this terrifically new concept called Java software, and how the future is limitless - or it was about a new spec or application domain. Tantalizing, but futuristic. But this year, the CEO of Siemens VDO Infotainment demonstrated a BMW running Java on its dashboard, and we talked about helping them to cultivate a developer community for automobile platforms. I demonstrated a Medic Touch device that collected my biometry, and propagated it through my cell phone to a health monitoring service. I remixed a ringtone from AirMixer's library of Sony's music, and sent it to my phone. And we open sourced Java 3D, and Project Looking Glass. As in GPL'd it. "

No comments: