Thursday, May 10, 2012

Google vs. Bing: I switched to Microsoft’s search engine for a week. Here’s what happened. - Slate Magazine

Excerpt from a stark Bing reality check
"All that being said, I don’t think you should switch. For one thing, despite Bing’s better design, Google is unquestionably the better search engine. Of the hundreds of searches I conducted in the last week, there were a handful of times that Bing just didn’t seem to be giving me the answer I was looking for. When I turned to Google with the same query, I got better results. This happened once when I was researching the name of a real estate agent; Google turned up some alarming stuff that Bing didn’t catch. Another time, I was looking for a computer scientist who’s an expert on wearable computing. I found a page and contact info for him on Bing, but I got a bounceback when I e-mailed him. When I Googled him, I found an indication that he’d moved on to a new job, with newer contact info—a page that Bing hadn’t turned up in its top results."
Google vs. Bing: I switched to Microsoft’s search engine for a week. Here’s what happened. - Slate Magazine

No comments: