Sunday, October 16, 2011

Jeff Bezos of Amazon: Birth of a Salesman - WSJ.com

Excerpt from a soon-to-be-published Jeff Bezos biography

During the first few weeks, everyone at the company was working until two or three in the morning to get the books packed, addressed and shipped. Mr. Bezos had neglected to order packing tables, so people ended up on their knees on the concrete floor to package the books. He later recalled in a speech that, after hours of doing this, he commented to one of the employees that they had to get knee pads. The employee, Nicholas Lovejoy, "looked at me like I was a Martian," Mr. Bezos said. Mr. Lovejoy suggested the obvious: Buy some tables. "I thought that was the most brilliant idea I had ever heard in my life," he said.

Jeff Bezos of Amazon: Birth of a Salesman - WSJ.com

No comments: