Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Google Settles Suit Over Book-Scanning - NYTimes.com

More on the Google settlement

“This huge body of books that were effectively lost to the marketplace are being rescued,” said James Gleick, the author of five books and a member of the board of the Authors Guild, one of the plaintiffs in the suit.

Google plans to take 37 percent of the revenue, leaving 63 percent for publishers and authors. If Google sells ads on pages where previews of scanned books appear, it will split the revenue on the same basis.

The settlement being paid by Google will go in part to establish a digital book registry that will administer the new system. At least $45 million is being designated to compensate authors and publishers whose books were scanned by Google before the settlement.

Google Settles Suit Over Book-Scanning - NYTimes.com

Post a Comment