A timely reality check; read the full article
Sure Apple doesn't sell ads, and Google doesn't make hardware, but look at everything else. Google and Apple do compete in a number of areas. As I said before, there is a laundry list of categories in which they compete:
- Smartphone software. iPhoneOS vs. Android
- Webpage building software iWeb vs. Google Pages
- Calendar software - iCal vs. GCal
- Document writing software - iWork vs. Google apps (Docs, spreadsheets and presentations)
- Feed reading software Mail.app vs. Google reader.
- Email software Gmail vs. Mail.app
- OS Software: MacOS vs. Android Linux
- The both give away photo editing software - Picassa vs. iPhoto.
- Web Browsers (both based on the same Open Source Webkit and sold for free) Safari and Chrome
- Web Services with Apple's MobileMe and Google's Google Apps and Gmail.
- Video services - Youtube vs. iTunes