Thursday, November 08, 2007

HP server serves up lots of headaches - USATODAY.com

As a former product guy, it makes me wince every time I run across goofy reviews such as this one in USA Today.

If your experience with the first of these Windows Home Servers is as exasperating as mine, you may wish your employer's PC help desk were at your beck and call. The $750 Hewlett-Packard (HPQ) MediaSmart Server I've been testing is too pricey and complicated for all but tech-savvy consumers. I hit snags with everything from remote computing to password management.

If you read the full article, you'll find that the reviewer is holding Microsoft accountable for issues with his broadband service provider (Cablevision) and, for some reason that he doesn't explain, considers a consumer-oriented terabyte server at $750 too expensive. Overall, he gives the HP WHS box a rating of 2 out of 4 stars.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised, given the source; I rarely read USA Today -- although sometimes, as was the case today, I skim it when there's a copy outside my hotel room door.

HP server serves up lots of headaches - USATODAY.com

No comments: