Monday, June 13, 2005

A View from Elsewhere : I’m Missing Something Here

A View from Elsewhere : I’m Missing Something Here: "All of this comes up because I’ve been playing with a bunch of AJAX programming frameworks for the last two weeks – AJAX.NET, Ruby On Rails, Sajax, and DWR. I wanted to see if a patzer like me could use them to build Web applications. My verdict: not quite yet. Yes, I could build things. I couldn’t build anything as sophisticated as Google Maps. I could build applications that worked better. I also found a host of irregularities in how different browsers render things. And I really wished I had a good set of tools to build the applications with.
I’m not sure if AJAX is an amazing transformational technology, or simply the pinnacle of what you can do with Javascript. Nor am I sure that I wouldn’t have been better off writing a ClickOnce Windows Forms app for most of what I was doing."

An AJAX reality check from Microsoft's John Montgomery. BTW, John: I had to use Firefox to excerpt from your blog; IE includes garbage characters -- e.g., "All of this comes up because I’ve been playing with a bunch of AJAX programming frameworks for the last two weeks â€...“

No comments: