Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Security Curve Weblog: Panic like it's 1938

Security Curve Weblog: Panic like it's 1938: "This situation, in my opinion, is very much akin to what's going on the past few days in and around the Windows image library vulnerability. Don't get me wrong, I said it was an issue - even a significant one - and I still believe that. However, in looking through the advice today, I'm a bit surprised about just how much panic there is out there; I'm even more surprised at the number of people who are recommending that we install the 'unofficial patch.' SANS is suggesting one of two unofficial patches, F-Secure is recommending that people install it, the Washington Post says not to wait and to 'do it now', etc., etc. Practically, the only outlet not recommending the unofficial patch is Microsoft, although they do recommend unregistering the impacted dll's in the official advisory."

Read the full post...

No comments: