Wednesday, October 05, 2016

This Man Is Explaining Google’s Hardware Bet to Android Partners - Bloomberg

"That worked fine" re Google + Motorola -- as long as Motorola continued to struggle competitively; I'm guessing the Tizen team was very happy with yesterday's Pixel introduction

"Bloomberg: What have you said to Android OEMs?

Lockheimer: They understand. They’ve seen Google evolve. We did Chromecast, we’ve done Google Glass, other hardware projects. It’s not like they’re not seeing that. They’ve asked us questions like this in the past, when we did Nexus. They also did that when we purchased Motorola. We worked with Motorola, during the time they were a Google company, in an arms-length fashion. They were another Android OEM, just like Samsung is a partner. That worked fine. I remember talking with someone at Samsung about that. He asked me the same questions and I told him what I just told you. He said ‘OK I understand.’ They’re still with us four, five years later. Android as an ecosystem has grown significantly since then. That gave us the confidence that we can do this."
This Man Is Explaining Google’s Hardware Bet to Android Partners - Bloomberg

No comments: