Wednesday, April 03, 2013

Dropbox vs Amazon: Nobody can compete with Jeff Bezos [Slate]

From a dire Dropbox reality check
"I like Dropbox. I like it so much that on Monday I upgraded from the 2GB free version to the one where you get 100GB of storage. It costs $99 a year. Then today I looked at the pricing for Amazon's competing service. They'll sell you 100GB for $50 a year. Plus they'll give you 5GB for free. And unlike Dropbox, Amazon offers intermediate options. You could get a 50GB account for $25 a year. As I say, I like Dropbox. And I'm already paid up for a year, so I won't be switching any time soon. But it's hard to see how the company can compete with Amazon rushing in, offering a superior free product, and cutting Dropbox's prices in half. Apple tried and failed in an effort to purchase Dropbox several years ago, but I think in the long term the founders will end up wishing they'd sold."
Dropbox vs Amazon: Nobody can compete with Jeff Bezos

No comments: