Friday, April 03, 2009

I.B.M. Reportedly Will Buy Rival Sun for $7 Billion - NYTimes.com

Another scoop on the biggest non-secret of the season

Sun’s software assets would fit into I.B.M.’s long-term strategy of chasing higher-profit software and services sales. It could also give I.B.M. more strength in competing against Oracle, which has sold its database software on top of Sun systems for years.

I.B.M.’s acquisition of Sun would disrupt that long partnership with Oracle. I.B.M. could also undercut Oracle by more actively promoting the free MySQL software, which has become the most popular database software with Internet companies.

Oops – maybe somebody should have told the NYT reporters that IBM already has a few commercial DBMS products of its own…  I’d also like to know their criteria for “… the most popular database software with Internet companies”.

I.B.M. Reportedly Will Buy Rival Sun for $7 Billion - NYTimes.com

No comments: