Tuesday, July 01, 2008

A Cringing Quarter for Venture Capitalists - Bits - Technology - New York Times Blog

Interesting times...

As I reported Saturday, venture capitalists experienced a very poor second quarter. The industry’s trade association said Tuesday that for the first time since 1978, not a single venture-backed company went public in the quarter.

From the perspective of the venture capital industry, it turns out that the news was worse than I reported.

The other bad news was the industry’s disclosure early Monday morning that acquisitions of venture-backed companies are down sharply too. In the second quarter, 50 merger and acquisition deals of venture-backed companies were completed. That’s down from 70 in the first quarter.

A Cringing Quarter for Venture Capitalists - Bits - Technology - New York Times Blog

1 comment:

Steve Driscoll said...

My partners and I recently started a new web-based company and have no intention of selling off for a while (okay, possibly because we’ve just started it. LOL) But that’s not the point. The economony IS crap and I’d rather hold on to my organization and build it up and give myself meaningfull work than sell off cheap and be left with nothing to do.

Oh…and here’s my company…

http://www.implu.com

What fun!!!!!!!