Check the full post for analysis by Joe Maguire, and stop watching TV “news,” if you haven’t done so already…
For those who follow information responsibility, here’s a story that has a little bit of everything:
- A widespread tolerance of cynical data distortion, all to manipulate ratings and rankings.
- Distortion of category boundaries to exclude unwanted data points.
- Distortion of category boundaries to include desirable data points.
- Manipulation of idiosyncratic metrics.
- Abuse of the news cycle.
- Anemic enforcement of ethical standards.
- An exclusive set of informed consumers who are not hoodwinked.