Tuesday, December 12, 2006

The Jeff Pulver Blog: Blog-Tag: A Game for a Virtual Cocktail Party [I've been tagged]

 I suspect the person who tagged me will pester me until the end of time if I don't play, so here we go [five things about me relatively few people know]:

1.  I grew up in Grand Forks, North Dakota 

2.  I got started in software during 1979 when I came to terms with the fact that I'd probably starve as an English major

3.  My first PC was a Kaypro and I suspect I'd still be more productive in CP/M Wordstar than Microsoft Word, if I could tolerate floppy drive speeds (I also had a Televideo terminal and "high speed" modem going back to 1980 or so)

4.  I am a recovering COBOL programmer -- got started in COBOL and network DBMS work out of college and can probably still type the word PERFORM faster than I can type my own first name

5.  I think logical data modeling is the path to enlightenment [wait; anybody who has talked with me for more than 3 minutes already knows that...]

Now it's my turn to annoy five other people:

Guy Creese

Mike Gotta

Karen Hobert

Elden Nelson

Craig Roth

Link to The Jeff Pulver Blog: Blog-Tag: A Game for a Virtual Cocktail Party [I've been tagged]

2 comments:

pbokelly said...

Oops -- I should also have mentioned, especially in Irwin appeasement mode, that the first PC I spent a lot of time with, circa 1981, was an Apple IIe.

pbokelly said...

Correction: one of my nerdy co-workers pointed out that the Apple IIe apparently wasn't released until 1983, so I guess the box I used (part-time 1980 - 1981 and full-time during the summer of 1982) was simply a II or II+. Of course, my primary computer at that point, at the University of Oregon, was a DEC 1091... I also learned LISP on a TRS-80 at UO -- go figure...

The Apple II was a great computer -- inspirational.