Tuesday, February 16, 2016

An old-school reply to an advertiser’s retro threat - FT.com

The head of marketing and communications at Hewlett Packard Enterprise gets a public reminder about the purpose of journalism

"You say the FT management should think about “unacceptable biases” and its relationship with its advertisers. My piece was not biased and I fear you misunderstand our business model. It is my editors’ steadfast refusal to consider the impact of stories on advertisers that makes us the decent newspaper we are. It is why I want to go on working here. It is why the FT goes on paying me.
Secondly, you seem to think your boss must be right because she runs a big company and knows about restructuring. In my experience people in big jobs occasionally say things that are a bit off. Then not only is it my job as a columnist to point it out, but yours too, as a member of her top team."
An old-school reply to an advertiser’s retro threat - FT.com

No comments: