Thursday, July 09, 2015

Testing Amazon’s Echo, an impressive verbal valet | BetaBoston

From another net-positive Amazon Echo review

"The Echo uses an array of seven microphones to pick up voices. I found it remarkably accurate, even when I spoke softly. A plastic ring around the rim of the device lights up when you say “Alexa,” the trigger word that tells Echo you’re about to give orders.

“Alexa, what’s the weather like?” generates the latest forecast. “Alexa, play Henry Mancini” gives me a nostalgic playback of 1960s movie music. “Alexa, remind me to buy potatoes” adds it to my smartphone’s shopping list. It’s all hands-free, because Echo is constantly listening. It’s a potential privacy threat, but Amazon says that nothing you say is recorded unless it’s preceded by the word “Alexa.”"
Testing Amazon’s Echo, an impressive verbal valet | BetaBoston

No comments: