Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Month of Microsoft: I am sending back the Windows Phones and Windows computers, but if you want my Xbox you will have to pry it out of my cold, dead hands. - Real Dan Lyons

Probably not the summary impressions Microsoft was hoping for; see the link below for more context-setting and details
"One thought I had over the weekend, while walking around wearing my tinfoil hat and talking to myself: What if Microsoft doesn’t really care about the consumer space? What if being an also-ran in mobile phones and Internet search is just fine by Microsoft, since it keeps people from noticing that, in the enterprise side, Microsoft not only dominates but is getting stronger? And maybe that’s where the real money is going to be made — building out the cloud, handling big data, delivering back-end and front-end services to big corporations, slowly gobbling up workloads that used to run on big iron, chipping away at software makers like Oracle and SAP?
Well I’m sure Microsoft isn’t deliberately trying to fail in the consumer space. But the fact that the Borg makes so much money on the enterprise side surely must soften the blow. And it can’t hurt that a few highly visible failures probably help keep the DOJ at bay."
Month of Microsoft: I am sending back the Windows Phones and Windows computers, but if you want my Xbox you will have to pry it out of my cold, dead hands. - Real Dan Lyons

No comments: