Thursday, March 08, 2012

New Windows has a different touch - Business - The Boston Globe

Excerpt from a generally positive Hiawatha Bray Windows 8 review

I logged on using Hotmail, and instantly my Windows 8 desktop came to life, linking me with Hotmail messages, listings from my online calendar, and photos I’d uploaded to Skydrive, a Microsoft file storage service.

That should sound familiar if you’ve got a phone or tablet that runs Google Inc.’s Android operating system. Google also offers a one-stop shopping sign-in, so it can shower you with Gmail, Google Calendar, Picasa photo sharing, and other goodies. What Google did was build a lovely little walled garden of online services that few of us would want to leave; but now Microsoft’s built a garden of its own. If I were a Google executive, I might just start to worry.

New Windows has a different touch - Business - The Boston Globe

No comments: