Monday, August 16, 2004

Q. I've been having problems with Groove and other applications since installing Windows XP Service Pack 2. What's the issue?

Q. I've been having problems with Groove and other applications since installing Windows XP Service Pack 2. What's the issue? "Last week, Microsoft shipped Windows XP Service Pack 2 that provides users greater protection against hackers, viruses and worms. Unfortunately, in attempting to address these issues, Microsoft changed Windows behavior in a way that impacts a broad array of communications software products, including Groove Virtual Office. The issue: XP Service Pack 2 now intentionally degrades overall Windows network performance when it senses attempts to establish large numbers of simultaneous outbound network connections. Because of this new operating system behavior, some Groove users who upgrade to XP Service Pack 2 may experience performance degradation while browsing the Web or using other network-based applications."

I have a hunch I'm not going to be installing SP2 on my primary work PC for a while... (I also run ZoneAlarm and PC-cillan 2003, so I'm not feeling particularly exposed at the moment.)

No comments: