Saturday, January 29, 2005

Wired News: My IPod, My Self

Wired News: My IPod, My Self: "Unlike the Walkman, the iPod taps into a 'hybrid entertainment matrix,' in which functions like random shuffle are a key construct, not just a cute marketing device.
'IPod and user form a cybernetic unit,' said Giesler. 'We're always talking about cyborgs in the context of cultural theory and sci-fi literature, but this is an excellent example that they're out there in the marketplace.... I have seen the future, and it is called the cyborg consumer.'"

We are borg -- my experience on JetBlue last week was scary in some respects; I think I was the only passenger on the plane who turned off the seat-back real-time TV and occasionally looked out the window (okay, I admit I also used my laptop, and my noise cancellation headphones, but at least I wasn't watching Spongebob...).

No comments: